Sunday, January 9, 2011

Jaw Drops and Tear Drops

After Mark and I got engaged the hardest part was to tell the parents.  Well, actually telling my parents.  I was so nervous on the drive home, but I was so thankful that Mark was coming back to my house to tell the news.  My parents wouldn't kill me in front of him.  When I got to the front door of my parents house the door was open with the screen door locked.  When I was trying to unlock the door my Mom was at the kitchen table and yelled "YOUR GRANDMOTHER IS NOT HAPPY WITH YOU!".  (Oh Great!  With all the excitement I didn't give my Grandmother a phone call all day, when she doesn't hear from me in every 2 hours she starts to worry.)  Well I got into the house and I saw my Mom sitting at the table grading her papers and getting frustrated with her students lack of trying.  She was slamming papers on the table yelling at each student as if they were able to hear her.  Waiting for an opportunity for my Mom to be in a good mood to tell her the news that I wasn't sure how she would take was not coming.  So I just put my hand in front of her face and said "look what Mark got me".  With a blank look on her face and not a word she just looked at it for a few seconds then looked at me with a confused look on her face.  Nothing was said but a grin was on her face.  So I went to Chico,  I showed him what Mark gave me, again not a word just a confused look.  After about 15 minutes went by and the news sunk in my parents started to ask us questions to find out if what they are thinking is really true.  After 30 minutes of them asking questions and finally believing the fact Mark and I went to my Grandmothers house to tell her the news.  When I got into my Grandmothers house I was expecting to be in trouble for not calling her all day, but she was quiet.  I showed her my ring, she stared at it, looked back at me and said "what that cost $50?"  Mark and I chuckled then she asked "so is this something permanent?"  of course it was and she went to bed.  I posted my new relationship satus on Facebook and my brother Jason found out that way before I was able to call him.  He called me right away and I was not able to answer the phone so he left me a message "is this some kind of a joke or is this real?  if it's real congratulations, if not, YOU SUCK!".   LOL!  I couldn't help but laugh at that.  So I called him and gave him the good news.  The next morning Jason drove to my Grandmas to congratulate us.  My Grandmother walked in the room "YOU'RE ENGAGED!?! I thought it was a friendship ring".  So Mark if this is a friendship ring I can't wait to see what else you get me.  : )
So to summerize my family didn't believe me. 

LET'S HEAR IT FROM MARKS SIDE NOW......

There wasn't any doubt in my mind that the second my family heard the news, stock in Kleenix facial Tissue would skyrocket for weeks.  So I really wasn't nervous about telling anyone.  However, I really wanted to tell my mom in person, to see her Kaleidoscope of emotions spill out in front of me, but with the magic of Facebook, everyone was findng out right away, and I was feeling guilty that my parents still didn't know the news.  So I told Holly I was going to call her cell phone and tell her.  She answers the phone with a harsh," What?!!"  I jokingly answer," Is that any way to answer a call from your son?"  She then, as anyone who knows my mom can tell you, felt the need to tell me her entire schedule for the day from the time she woke up at eight in the morning to the time I now talked to her at 10 pm.  She went on and on and on and on and ON and ON and ON AND ON AND ON AND ON, until we finally arrived at this pleasant conversation we were now having.  I said," Are you just about done?"  My mom answers," Yes, so what can I do you for?"  And I said," Well, your future daughter in law here beside me wanted to tell you something."  DEAD SILENCE.  Then her emotions took over and she spoke in fragments," W-What.........Di......*snifff* you.....just...........s-s-s-say?"  So I said," I asked Holly to marry me, we're engaged now."  I heard Auntie Lilla in the back say," Is Mark engaged?"  My mom said," Put Haw-Haw-Holly on....the.....phone *sniff*"  So I hand the phone to Holly who had an "oh crap" look on her face as she took the phone.  And I could hear my mom bawling as she told Holly how happy she is for the two of us.  She then hands the phone back to me with this "wow" look on her face.  And my mom started telling me how happy she is for us, and how I made her night.  With the tidal wave of emotions that was nearly drowning Holly and I from this phone calls, I completely forgot I hadn't told my dad.  lol.  I get a call the next morning from my mom saying," Well you please tell your father.  I want to celebrate with him, but I can't because he doesn't know yet."  First words out of my mouth," Oh crap, I forgot."  lol.  So I immediately call my dad, who had fallen in love with Holly the day he met her, and told him the exciting news.  He was ecstatic and congradulated the two of us.  That morning, I was getting an ambush of phone calls and text messages from all my aunts, uncles, coursins, and friends who were all overjoyed with the good news.  I seriously think at age 36, most of my family and friends had given up on this day ever happening for me.  lol.  Anyways, Holly and I are now in the planning stages of this incredible day for us.  And note to all of you who are kicking yourself for not buying that Kleenix stock, don't worry.  You have a second chance on the week of our wedding day :)

2 comments: